Wednesday 11 December 2013

It's Christmas time

I think Christmas starts a bit too early in this country. Come on, Tesco has been stocking their Christmas pudding since mid-October and as soon as Halloween ended, all the Christmas decorations popped up everywhere!
For me Christmas should start on the 1st of December, at the earliest. I know I'm late, and I haven't even started my Christmas shopping yet... At least I know what I need to buy this year, because I don't want to end up in Argos on 24th of December at 5pm, trying to buy a rocket ship like last year. Mind you, the staff was really nice and in typical Irish style, let me in even if the store was closing 5 minutes after ( Maybe the crying outside the store helped!)

There's something I really love in Ireland during this season, it's the Christmas songs. You know, the ones you only hear on the radio at this time of the year. In France, there are Christmas songs, but it's not the same. We sing the songs that we learned when we were young like "Petit Papa Noel" or Jingle bells ( the French version obviously!). I don't think mainstream French singers ever had a hit with a Christmas song.  The French don't even know when to play one : we were in France in August a couple of years ago and we heard " Last Christmas" by Georges Michael on the radio. My husband and I burst laughing ( and my sister didn't have a clue why). 

Of course I have a favourite Christmas song, and of course, it's Irish. Enjoy !