Thursday 16 January 2014

It's the little things...

The other day I was in the supermarket at the self-service checkout. I scanned all my items and paid. I then took a plastic bag on the counter, and realised I didn't pay for it. I said it to the shop assistant and his reply was: " Ah, sure  it's grand, not a bother". I offered to pay for it but he refused. I know it was only 22 cents, but I thought it was a nice gesture.

I had a flat tyre once, on the motorway. Being the woman that I am, I panicked of course, and the husband wasn't there to help. Well, after 5 minutes nearly crying  on the side of the road, a complete stranger stopped and changed my tyre.

We used to rent an apartment and  the landlord  usually looked after the place when we were going away. The first time we came back from holidays, we discovered a bunch of flowers and a bottle of wine on the table, with a little card saying " Welcome back". 

This is what I like about Ireland. It's the little things that make day to day living in this country worth it. People moan all the time about the economy, the weather, the taxes, the government, but on a personal level, they are just nice, laid-back, helpful people (who occasionally insult each other for the "craic"!). 

I know there are ***holes everywhere, and even here, but thank God I haven't met a lot of them (and I'd like to keep it that way!)