Saturday 3 May 2014

Spring cleaning


One of my best friend is coming over to visit for a whole week with her husband and their two kids...and they are ALL staying in our 2-bedrooms apartment.

I love having friends over, but there is definitely going to be some over-crowding there. The 4 kids will stay in the children bedroom, and the couple will sleep on the couch in the living-room. 

I still need to make some space in the boys bedroom and in order to do that I had to take a half-day off work, just to clean and re-arrange the room. 

 It's amazing the amount of crap that one can accumulate over the years. And when you live with a husband who is a bit of a hoarder, getting rid of stuff can be tricky. 

I opened the big cupboard in the bedroom and tried to sort it out. But every time I was taking something, I thought: "He's going to kill me if I throw that away".
I like conserving things for a long time myself but I'm more of an "emotional" keeper. I like preserving old letters, postcards, presents, my kids first pair of shoes etc. My husband would tell you he's the same. 

For example, we still have the first TV he bought when he came to Ireland 13 years ago. You know, because it brings back memories. For the last 7 years, it sits in the children bedroom, taking dust because it's not plugged in. The kids think the integrated VCR is a piggy bank and keep putting money in it...  But he doesn't want to give it up.
Then you have the TOBI portable steamer he bought on the Shopping TV channel 6 years ago. It seemed such a good idea at the time, but I suppose everything seems a good idea after a few drinks... He used it twice. In 6 years. And he doesn't want to get rid of it... Because you know, we may need it one day... 

I will gladly give it to anybody who wants it


In that cupboard we also have a punctured inflatable double mattress. Even if it was in working conditions we couldn't use it as there is not enough space, unless somebody wants to sleep in the kitchen. But you never know, we might repair it and go camping some day.

I'm really going to need my best negotiation skills to try and clear that room out before my friends arrive. Which is in about 3 hours. Wish me luck!!