Thursday 9 October 2014

Liebster award



I vaguely heard about the Liebster award before, but didn't really know what is what about. I've been following Danica's blog for a while so I was thrilled when she nominated me for the award. 
The rule is that I have to answer the questions I've been assigned so you can get to know me a little better, and in return, I have to nominate other bloggers to do the same. This process helps bloggers connect to each other and gain a little recognition in the process.

Here we go...

1)  Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?

I'd love to invite Bono! I know Irish people are rolling their eyes here, but look, even if he has an oversized ego, I'm sure he's great craic after a few drinks! We could try saving the world together... And after all, we almost know each other already considering Fabrice invited him to Mauritius once!
 
2)  Would you like to be famous? In what way?


There's a lot of hassle with being a celebrity. If I was famous, I would like it to be for something positive, not participating in some stupid reality show for example! I dreamt of becoming famous when I was a child, I think I was craving for attention and recognition (some underlying issues there maybe..?).

3)  Before making a phone call, do you ever rehearse what you're going to say? Why?


Always, always, always. Even if it's just to book an appointment at the hairdresser. English not being my native language, it probably plays a role in my lack of confidence.  But you know the irony ? I used to work in a call-centre, taking a hundred calls a day, and still, I was afraid of making one tiny phone call to Domino's pizza. Thankfully I've overcome that fear (more or less) and even though I rehearse before calling someone, I'm fine once I start talking.
 
4)  When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?


In the car this morning (other motorists probably think I'm crazy). I haven't sang to someone else in a very long time... I think it was when I was in a musical, back in 2009. We played "Hot Mikado" but thankfully I didn't have to sing on my own!
 
5)  If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?


I would have liked to be taught how to be more positive. I was told to always expect the worse, so I wouldn't be disappointed. I really try to be more positive, but it's something that has stuck with me since I was young.  
 
6)  If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one quality or ability, what would it be?


 I'd love to be able to play a musical instrument... or stop time (and take a long nap after lunch).
 
7)  Is there something that you've dreamt of doing for a long time? Why haven't you done it?


Change job (I hope my boss isn't reading this!). I've been in the same position for 5 years and the same company for 8 years. I had a few opportunities but nothing really  concrete. I also want to change career but have no clue what I want to do! Not easy isn't it?!
 
8)  What does friendship mean to you?


You know it's real friendship when even if you haven't talked for a year, you eventually get to see each other, and it feels like you never been away. My friends are the most important thing in my life (with my family of course!). Being friends mean being there for each other (not necessarily in person) for the good and also the bad things.
 
9)  When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?


I don't remember, which means I haven't cried in front of someone for a very long time. I cry when I watch movies though (and Fabrice always makes fun of me...)

10)  Would you be willing to have horrible nightmares for a year if you would be rewarded with extraordinary wealth?


Are you kidding? I'd have to spent all the money on therapy to be able to cope with all the nightmares..
 
11)  Complete this sentence "I wish I had someone with whom I could share..."


 my sarcastic humour with... (the other-half doesn't really get it sometimes!)

So here comes the tricky part! I now have to nominate other bloggers and pass on the torch... I think 11 bloggers and 11 questions are way too much. My mind is melting after that Q&A session, so I've decided to nominate 5 blogs and ask 5 questions (after all, the rules are not set in stone!)

My nominee, who share the same experience of living in another country, are:


The narcissistic expat diaries
Rachel in Ireland
Dubliner in Deutschland
Frenchyummymummy
A Frog at large

And here are the questions:

1. Name one thing that you always bring back from a holiday in your native country (and why)
2. What is the most unusual question you've been asked about your expat experience? And what did you answer?
3. What do you miss most from your home country?
4. What cultural or lifestyle aspect of your host country did you embrace straight away?
5. What local custom or tradition surprised you the most?