Monday 10 November 2014

My great great Grand-mother




This picture has been in my family for a long time and has an unusual history. We don't know when it was taken or who took it. We don't even know if the woman in picture had any knowledge of her portrait being taken because when the picture was discovered, she had already passed away.

The headpiece she wears could indicate a time period, but I'm no expert, so I would say it's probably the early 1900s.  

Her grand-son, my grand-father's cousin, used to work for the SNCF (the National Railway company) and on a trip to Paris in the 1950's-1960's, he found this picture, which is actually a postcard, in a shop.

He instantly recognized his grand-mother and bought the postcard. When he came back he made it into photographs so the family could keep it.

The picture was taken in the church porch of my native village. This is also where I got married, so it has a special significance.

I love this photograph and the atmosphere the comes out of it. Every time I look at it, I feel serenity and peacefulness. 

I have never known my great great grand-mother, but I can feel she's watching over me.